Monday, September 12, 2005

It's Uncle Cuppojoe To You, Kid...

That's right... There's a new leaf on the old Family Tree. Specifically, another nephew for Yours Truly. You see, my kid sister has gone and had a kid of her own. Okay, at 22, I can hardly call her a "kid" anymore, but, come on! I can still remember giving her her bottle and changing her diaper when Mom got too busy or too tired!

(In order to avoid almost certain insomnia, I will no longer dwell on the former action in that sentence... And neither will you.)

So, this past weekend, the girlfriend and I packed up my daughter and went on down to visit the new little guy. Had to see what he thought of his first three days, you know? Not to mention introducing him to the cousin who will be setting him up with her friends and sneaking him into bars 17 years from now.

A pleasant drive, it was... What with the pitch-black of the Alberta countryside, the driving rain, the worn windshield wipers, and the oncoming traffic that just couldn't be bothered to dim their high-beams. I couldn't just wait and do the 2-hour trip in the morning, could I? No way! Had to get there as soon as possible. But apparently not soon enough to meet up with the rest of the family before they went to bed...

Did you know that there aren't any restaurants open past 11 o'clock in certain small Alberta cities? We didn't. And did you know that large hotel chains in said cities prefer to give their night managers the weekends off in favor of staffing the front desk with trainees unable to perform a check-in for guests in under 45 minutes? Again, neither did we. On the plus side, it only took them 15 minutes to check us out the next morning. Pretty good for newbies, if you ignore the fact that we're still waiting for them to process our Air Miles...

What? Me, bitter? No...

The weekend brightened up as soon as we saw the new addition to the family, though. Cute little guy, really. Loads of black hair and (from what I was told about a dozen times) a really clear complexion. They didn't think my sister was giving birth to a teenager, did they? And he didn't have much to say but, what with wise-cracking clowns like my brother in the family, I think he was probably just playing it safe. Oh! And the grandparents were out in full force, oohing and ahhing over the baby, pointing out all the features that made him "just like his Mom" or "Daddy's little man"...

There should be a longer unit on genetics in High School biology...

One of the highlights had to be when the new Dad was asked what it was like to be in the delivery room when his son was born... All he could say was, "I'm glad I'm not a woman!"

Amen to that... And I'm sure my sister's glad you're not, too!

Anyway, now that the weekend is over and I'm back in town, all I have to do is go through the 300 or so pictures I took of each and every member of the family holding the baby, and walking with the baby, and feeding the baby, and burping the baby, and...

"What's that? Grandpa is holding him in his left arm now? Quick! Throw me my camera!"

No comments: