Thursday, March 30, 2006

Scenes from the Forklift: Job Knowledge

I was sitting at my desk this morning, going over a couple emails, updating a few things in the system, when I looked up and saw 2 guys from "The Other Company" (really, just a division of our company, but "different" enough to deserve the title) approaching. The two of them stopped in my doorway and just stared at me until I finally gave in and asked, "Yes?"

With Number Two Other Guy leaning over his shoulder, Number One Other Guy held up a keyboard for me to see.

"Can we leave this on your cleaning bench for one of your guys to clean?"

Now, a couple of things ran through my mind at that moment... I wondered why I would want to have a member of my staff clean a keyboard for "The Other Company"... I wondered why it took two of them to come ask me this inane question... I wondered how two guys could stand so close together without feeling just a little creeped out...

I believe my response was something to the effect of, "No", after which I went back to what I was doing, hoping they would go away.

If wishes were fishes...

I gave it a good 5 seconds before looking up again and saying, "Why don't you just clean it yourself?" I was just itching to hear them say they were too busy so I could rip into them about it taking two really busy guys to walk one keyboard back to the warehouse. Alas, all I got was a blank stare and the response, "We don't know which chemicals are involved in that process."

Let me clarify... We're talking about a keyboard for a computer here. And, from what I could see, it was a little dirty. I really didn't think we were going to have to resort to some exotic chemical treatment in order to render this particular piece of equipment safe for public use. Looking over at the aforementioned cleaning bench, I saw the usual array of sanitation apparatus: Namely, a bottle of Windex and a pile of rags.

In the end, I think the two of them got it all figured out... But now I'm wondering if these might be the guys that left the "Snickers Bar, please" note and dollar taped to the snack machine...

No comments: