Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sunday Spotlight: Paper Sack Lifetime

Every once in a while, I come across a blog that, right from the first two sentences, has me laughing. Let's face it, there's a lot more comedy out there on the web than we give credit for... There are some truly incredibly funny people sharing their thoughts with a faceless audience when they could easily have their own sitcom or HBO special. And is there anything more refreshing after surfing through blog after blog of the same re-hashed news than a good laugh?

I think not.

Well, about a year ago, I found myself reading Paper Sack Lifetime by Mr. Kyle. I don't remember how I got there... Maybe it was a link from another good blog, or a random thing from BlogExplosion... What I do know is that it only took me a couple minutes of reading before I added the page to my Favorites.

There was nothing visually flashy about the site, nor is there to this day. It simply doesn't need it. Mr. Kyle's writing is so well composed and so original in it's take on life that the color of the background is the last thing on the reader's mind.

His earlier posts were like a voyeuristic look at the stupidity of people in public... all the brainless things people say to each other when they don't think anyone else can hear, or the things that truly clueless people will say no matter who happens to hear. Most of these "conversations" took place in or around a coffee shop, giving the impression that the author was probably a cog in the massive Starbuck's machine... or he just chose a very convenient venue for his "inspiration".

Of late, the theme of the writing has changed a bit, as will happen with all good blogs. Now, the situations are obviously fictitious... but no less funny. I'm reminded more now of the quirkier comedy of Monty Python or Kids in the Hall. Not that it is actually anything like those, but it's the only way I can think of to describe the oddly hilarious scenes Mr. Kyle paints.

All right, then. The seed has been planted and my recommendation given. Now it's up to you to find out for yourself just how funny this guy can be. Go ahead... Go have a laugh or two... You've earned it.

No comments: