Thursday, November 18, 2004

Belated... As Usual

Leave it to me to completely miss a birthday, anniversary, or any other occasion that I have a year to prepare for. I'm horrible with dates. Don't get me wrong, I can remember them, no problem... But I'm not usually very aware of the current date, so remembering significant ones is kind of pointless.

I'm the kind of person who really should use those pop-up reminders in Microsoft Outlook to let me know when something's coming. Of course, like most of the sane world, I despise pop-ups of any kind. If one popped up to tell me I should call my brother and wish him a Happy Birthday, I'd probably get hostile and not bother! So, I guess that's out of the question...

I could always revert to an old-style calendar one the wall. During this time of year, those Calendar Shops are popping up in malls all over the place. I guess calendars are a popular choice for presents with some people. I never really understood that, to tell you the truth. Are there any other types of stationery or office supplies that make appropriate gifts for a loved one? How about a stapler? Or a pack of neon colored Post-It Notes? It sure would ease my budget if they were! Actually, I bought a calendar for my girlfriend last Christmas, now that I'm thinking about it. But that was more for the pictures of waterfalls (which she loves). But, I digress...

I don't think a calendar would work for me. There just isn't anywhere that I frequent on a daily basis that would work as a place for a calendar. Naturally, there are places I go everyday... But taking a shower, eating breakfast, or going to bed are not convenient times to be reminded that I need to go say "Happy Mother's Day, Mom!"

I need some kind of reminder that goes with me. And I'm not talking about anything as fancy as a PDA. No, I need something that jumps out at me... Not something I have to remember to use. Isn't that the problem I'm trying to solve in the first place? I know! Why don't I just pin the event of the day on my shirt, like our teachers used to do for the kids who could never remember to give notes to their parents? Yeah! That would work! Picture it...

I'm walking back to my desk from the coffee machine when I suddenly bump into Rockstar. "Hey, Cuppojoe," he'd say, "Why do you have a bright green card with my name on it pinned to your shirt?" I'd shrug and say, "No reason." Then, as I turned to continue on my way, I'd suddenly look back up and say, "Hey! Happy Birthday, by the way!"

It's a flawless plan, I tell ya... If only I would have thought of it in time to remind myself that this blog turned one-year old on November 2. Oh well, there's always next year.

I think I'll go make the card...

No comments: