Monday, May 15, 2006

In Search of a Sunrise

A few weeks ago, on a weekend when my daughter was away visiting her Mom, I happened to get up nice and early and go out for a stroll. Luckily, I live quite close to one of the most amazing locations in our city... Nose Hill Park.

If you check out that link, you'll see that it holds the record as Canada's largest municipal park and measures a whopping 2784 acres! Now that's a park!

Anyway, as I was saying, I went for an early morning walk, camera in hand, and headed for Nose Hill. At first, I was just going to walk up the east side of the hill to see if I could get some good sunrise shots. Unfortunately, facing east meant I was facing the flattest, most unattractive part of Calgary. So, I walked a little farther into the park.

Before long, it was easy to forget that I was in the middle of a city. I was surrounded by nothing but wintry scrub grass, leafless trees, and silence. I guess it was early enough that the growl of traffic hadn't grown loud enough to penetrate the solitude of the park. I was smack-dab in the middle of one of the most peaceful walks I'd ever been on.

It occurred to me that I might get a good photo of the morning sun shining off the Rocky Mountains. The only problem there was the fact that the mountains weren't visible from where I was. I'd have to walk across to the west side.

Did I mention how big Nose Hill is?

One pond, three ducks, and four dog-walkers later, I arrived at a place that gave me a magnificent view of the west side of Calgary, complete with the majestic Rockies as a backdrop.

This is a 170-degree panorama of what I saw that morning. Those of you who remember the '88 Olympics should have little trouble locating the ski jumps at Canada Olympic Park...

No comments: