Thursday, May 20, 2004

I'm Getting Too Old For This...

I can't remember the last time I was this tired...

First of all, things at the old warehouse haven't been exciting enough to bother with a "Scenes from the Forklift" post, but they have been busy. I've spent the entire week, along with the help of CK, unboxing, prepping, and reboxing over 800 pieces of high-end inventory. Not exactly what you'd call "brain work", but very physically taxing.

That would normally be enough to have me craving a weekend, but that's far from where it ends... Last night, Rockstar invited my girlfriend and me over to his apartment to watch Game 6 of the Western Conference Final between the Calgary Flames and the San Jose Sharks. The lure of his super-wide screen TV and the promise of a steak dinner proved to be more than I could resist. Now, as I've mentioned before, Rockstar lives just off the now infamous 17th Ave here in Calgary so it was quite a rush to experience the pandemonium at Ground Zero when the Flames eliminated the Sharks from the playoffs around 10pm. People were dancing in the streets, cars were honking non-stop, balconies for blocks were packed with elated fans, and the flame burned bright atop the Calgary Tower.

After standing on Rockstar's balcony for a while, enjoying a little celebratory Champagne, the effects of the last few days plus the adrenaline rush of knowing the Flames would be playing for the Stanley Cup began to take their toll... I was in need of some serious sleep and a weekend! But it wasn't over yet...

Three of us had tickets to see Thornley play at a bar called "The Whiskey", a bar which is quite close to the Saddledome. So, we put away the Champagne glasses, grabbed our coats, and made our way to the gig. We drove through crowds of people, literally thousands of party-goers chanting "Go Flames Go!" or honking their horns. It was an amazing sight to behold.

We arrived at the bar shortly before 11pm with just enough time to grab a drink before Thornley took the stage. They played for about an hour, crushing our eardrums with their fast-paced rock. All in all, it was a good show, but the fatigue was starting to take serious effect. By the time we arrived home again, discarded our smoke-filled clothes and finally crawled between the sheets, it was a little after 1:30 in the morning. Believe me, it seemed like mere seconds before my alarm woke me again at 6!

And, I was back at by 8 this morning... Repeating the same unbox, prep, rebox routine with CK that we'd been doing all week. There wasn't enough coffee in the world to keep me from yawning every two minutes... But, I guess I made it through, or you wouldn't be reading this. I just can't believe it's only Thursday and I have to do it all again tomorrow!

I'm getting too old for this...

No comments: