Thursday, June 24, 2004

Boys and Their Toys

No matter how old I get, I think I will always love toys.

When I was a kid, I used to collect "dinky cars", the little Matchbox and Hot Wheels brand scale replica cars. Back then, they were made to look just like the cars you saw driving around everyday, with the odd "exotic" one thrown in for flavor. Every time my parents took me to the department store, my Dad would let me pick out a new one for my collection. Then I'd take the new treasure home and put it in the little tin box I kept the rest of them in.

As I got a little older, the cars got left behind in favor of G.I. Joe. These weren't the Barbie-sized ones with the "real" stubbly beard (although I did have one of those at one time too), but the smaller "action figures", complete with Swivel-Arm Battle Grip. I'd spend hours setting up the massive G.I. Joe Head Quarters with it's dual-barrel turret gun, stockade, and computer Command Center. When my Birthday or Christmas rolled around, everyone knew exactly what to get me... More G.I. Joe!

Now that I'm an adult (most of the time), I'd have to say that computers have become my new toy. I don't really play any games on them, but I do enjoy figuring out all the cool things a computer could do, then trying to make it happen. I like to play with my 3 digital cameras and the pictures I get out of them... It's fun to re-mix music and sound-clips... I'm even set up to broadcast my computer's display to any TV in my house and control it with an FM Remote Mouse! Very little of what I do, in fact, is of any use... It's just fun to be able to do it. Hence, the computer is my toy.

Well, my girlfriend played a Trump Card this past weekend when she bought me my new Ultimate Toy for Father's Day: a portable DVD player.

I can't even begin to tell you how cool that thing is! Sure, I've been watching DVD's for years (even burning a few, from time to time), but this is a whole new experience! I feel exactly like I did when I was 13 years old and I got my first Walkman... Well, it wasn't a true Sony Walkman, just a cheap rip-off, but it was huge, silver, and came with the same awesome body-strap that the real thing had. No longer did I have to sit in my Mom's living room with my ear pressed up against the cabinet stereo to hear my Hit Explosion K-Tel record... Never again would I have to hear her telling me to turn it down... I was finally free to enjoy my tunes anywhere, anytime!

Now, 20 years later, I've regained that same freedom with my movies... I doubt you'll find me walking down the street watching Pulp Fiction anytime soon, but now I can watch a show in bed without disturbing my Better Half and road trips with the kids just might be a little quieter.

I could go on and on about it, but I really must get back to The Bourne Identity... For crying out loud! The guy can't remember that he's Matt Damon! Can you believe it?!?

No comments: